Monday, June 06, 2005

The insidious effects of law school...

I swore it wouldn't happen to me. I swore I would avoid letting law school take over my life. I swore I wouldn't become one of THOSE kids - you know the ones - who take every minute daily occurrence and turn them into hypothetical cases of breach of contract, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc. Unfortunately, the process is starting. Less than a week into classes, with little understanding or knowledge of law, and some of my classmates and I are beginning to discuss everything in just that manner.

This is why people hate lawyers and law students - all they can ever talk about is law - the law creeps throughout their body like ivy growing into the bricks on a wall until all of their previous thoughts and studies are subjugated to the neverending intricacies of the law.

I will definitely need to make friends outside of the law school.

My one positive discovery of the day was the realization that promissory estoppel is basically the concept of gaining redress for the opportunity cost incurred by eschewing other opportunities in favor of the one that never came to fruition. Really just a restatement of the definition of promissory estoppel - but it really hit me like a ton of bricks that I could analogize and equate it to basic economic concepts. Now if only I could have that brick-like revelation in torts - although thinking of tons of bricks falling on my head makes me think of various issues relating to battery. And intentional harm.

Gah!

Back to reading for me - and watching Star Trek!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home