Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The glory of Meijers

Today I went grocery shopping - not to my usual haunt of Whole Foods, but to Meijers. Where I discovered that they had a few things I really wanted that Whole Foods simply doesn't have:

1) Lard. I've decided to cook more with lard - screw vegetable or olive oil - lard is a full-bodied manly substance. Also great for pie crusts and pastries. Not that I make a lot of those.

2) Cherry-vanilla Dr. Pepper. Only the diet version was available in the northern states for months. Finally they have regular cherry-vanilla Dr. Pepper. I bought two cases. Now I'm rethinking that. It sort of tastes like extra-cherry-flavored Dr. Pepper. Not really that different from regular Dr. Pepper, just not nearly as good as that ambrosia. When it comes to funky sodas, I much prefer Pepsi Holiday Spice.

3) Beef kidneys. I didn't buy any - but I've been dying to try making steak and kidney pie when I have a chance. Since I've never had steak and kidney pie, I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste. I do know that I'll have to wash the kidney thoroughly, otherwise the pie will taste like piss.

4) Lumps of beef suet. Also didn't buy any - but that's sort of nifty. I wonder if steak and kidney pie crust should be made with beef suet.

5) Chicken gizzards. That I bought. It's cheap and supposedly great when breaded and fried. I'm trying a new austerity program in my food life. We'll see how long that lasts.

And all of this was on top of some other funky things I found - like pig ears, pig feet, pork neck - unfortunately no full pig heads - otherwise I'd try making head cheese.

In short - Meijers is much more amazing than I'd thought. I'll have to frequent it more often.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you already knew that Meijers was amazing.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Nixie said...

That was a different kind of amazing...the "4 am, riding razor scooters around, throwing 20 lb jars of pickles at each other, sticking things like enema and douche kits in our shopping carts" kind of amazing.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammer police alert****

meijer has no "S" on the end. thank you for your time


ps it does indeed rule.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home