Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Reading Room

I've written about the Reading Room before, comparing it to Hogwarts.

Today, as I sit in the Reading Room reading for my international trade law class, I have to wonder whether a single room is a good enough reason to choose a law school. This place is so breathtakingly beautiful, something of which I'm reminded when I see groups of students on tours being led through here. Invariably, parents and students alike point to the ceiling, to the light fixtures, to the beautiful wood on the walls and the stone above them. Invariably, there is a look of awe, of entering a sacrosanct space of learning.

If I knew very little about Michigan law school, I might be tempted to choose it because of the Reading Room. I'm sure there are other law schools that are as beautiful as Michigan's, but I find it hard to imagine that there is another reading room so stunning. The Reading Room alone may be well worth the price of admission.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your law school as a whole is one of the two or three most beautiful in the country.

My school is... an award-winning modern design. Oh, how I miss the sparkling stone and warm wood of Michigan.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Kurt Hunt said...

Funny enough, I don't like the Reading Room. It's beautiful, and it's a great place to take family and friends when you're showing them the law school. But, for me, studying in that room is impossible.

The lights are dim, the chairs are hard, and the acoustics amplify every flip of a page and every tap of a key. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten dirty looks from people just during the course of (quietly) unpacking my books to start studying.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Nixie said...

Hard chairs are key for me - otherwise I fall asleep. But, I can see the issues with studying there.

I probably only study there about 3 or so hours per week - I do most of my studying at home. My problem with the downstairs library is that it reminds me of a putting green and is too well-lit and retro. If I spent more time at school, though, I'd probably end up there - the Reading Room is perfect for a quick study between classes but I can't imagine spending multiple hours per day there.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home