Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Horse racing

I haven't been a big fan of horses since I was a kid, and a horse tried to throw me a couple of times. Since then, I've vowed to stay away from horses - I will neither ride them, nor am I happy to be pulled by them. Horsepower will beat horse power any day in my book.

Nevertheless, for years I've harbored a secret desire. I want to go to a racetrack and bet on a couple of horses. I don't care if I lose. Ideally, I'd like it to be a small-scale race, where I can get betting tips from old drunkards and see the gritty side of horse-racing. The Kentucky Derby holds no appeal for me. The Triple Crown leaves me cold. The Budapest racetrack, on the other hand, is where I would like to bet on my first race. I envision it as being a place veiled in the sadness of lost pensions and paychecks, and tinged with the occasional joys of winning a small amount that might help buy new shoes for the children.

So go horsies! I'll put money on them and watch them race as long as I don't have to be anywhere near them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home