Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Jenga and Earthquakes

I was just semi-watching some stupid new reality show that involved a game of Jenga.

This made me think of something I hadn't thought of in nearly a decade.

It was New Year's Eve, 1994, I think. We were living in Yokohama, and my family and I were at the house of our friends. They had two children who were close in age to me, and at some point, shortly before midnight we went to play Jenga.

The game progressed for a while, and the tower began to become less stable, when all of the sudden the whole room began to shake. As we sat, frozen in horror, the whole tower collapsed around us. Then the shaking stopped. I felt that this was no ordinary earthquake - unlike most, this had seriously upset the balance of something that at that immediate moment truly mattered to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaron said...

What luck eh?

Playing Jenga of all games while a Eartquake of all things, smote your tower of childhood mirth.

Yokohama is a beautiful city, I'm itchin' to go back.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home