Saturday, July 16, 2005

Torts v. Harry Potter

I'm going home tonight to go to a wine-tasting dinner for my dad's birthday, which is tomorrow. He just called to let me know that one of the many copies of Harry Potter that our family ordered has just arrived. So now I'm faced with a dilemma. Should I even bother to bring my textbooks with me or should I just succumb to the seductiveness of the new Harry Potter?

Proximate cause is interesting, but is it anything like a half-blood prince? Meanwhile, in my readings for today - on proximate cause - in the notes following one of the cases it cites a case, Hines v. Garrett, where the railroad conductor accidentally took the plaintiff a mile past her stop at night, forcing her to walk back through an unsettled area. During this walk, she was raped once by a soldier and then once by a hobo. This happened in Virginia in 1921. Makes you wonder about the supposedly 'violent' society we live in today. Kinda glad I'm not living in the 1920s in Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home