Sunday, September 25, 2005

Some days...

Some days I feel like I have to get out of this country with an urgency that's hard to explain. I've been living in the States for 10 years, longer than anywhere else. I feel more and more that I've exhausted everything it has to offer for me personally and that it's time to move on.

But then there are days like today, where I'm reminded that there are some things about the States that no other country in the world has.

Today I went to Hamtramck with my parents. We ate at a Bosnian restaurant, the only one in Detroit, which had terrifically authentic Bosnian food and phenomenal Bosnian bread. Then we went grocery shopping at a Polish grocery, which carried such disastrously hard to find items as sorrel in jars and lots of different kinds of lard (for cooking and for spreading on bread).

Where in Europe (or any other part of the world, for that matter) are you going to find a place to live where you're within an hour's drive of grocery stores that carry such diversity of ethnic foods as Japanese (both junkfood and regular), Korean (fresh kim-chi anyone), Polish, Middle Eastern and South American? Where would I find chipotle chilis in Hungary, multiple different varieties of tahini in Argentina, or umpteen kinds of seaweed in Cameroon?

What I'm hoping is that the internet will spread its tendrils all over the globe, so that for a price I can get anything I REALLY need online, no matter where I am in the world. Or, even better, I can have my friends ship me whatever I need from the US.

Still, there are some things that make the US a unique and amazing place, and today I was reminded of that fact. (Note that my life revolves so much around food that the only reason I feel hesitant to leave the States is because I'd have limited access to certain ingredients. Sad, isn't it...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home