Sunday, December 25, 2005

Aaaah Christmas

Aaaah Christmas! That time of year where overindulgence in everything becomes the norm! That time of year where drinking at 5 PM is suddenly acceptable and being sickeningly drunk is expected! That time of year when eating more than is humanly possible is not only acceptable but necessary - because otherwise you insult the meal.

This was the first year that Christmas really wasn't about the gifts for me. I couldn't have cared less if I got anything or not. I was happy to give gifts, but more importantly, I realize something about Christmas.

To me Christmas is a time to reminisce about the people in your life who you've lost touch with. It's a time to wonder how people are doing. It's also a time to get back in touch with people, to find out what people you once loved are up to.

Christmas is about family and friends. It's about being thankful for those you have in your life who make it more fun, intellectual and enjoyable. It's about sneaking kisses at Christmas Eve behind your friends' and family's back. It's about warmth, sharing, food, and booze. It's not about presents. For wasn't the whole point of Christmas, as in the point of that man who some choose to worship but others of us view as simply a very very good man that of forgiving those who have hurt you and being thankful for having simple things that make life good?

This Christmas was a special one for me - after everything I experienced in this past year, I saw it for what it really is (until I have my own little ones, of course) - a holiday to be shared with others.

I hope all of you who celebrate Christmas had an equally meaningful and wonderful one. And for those who don't, Merry Christmahanukwanzakaa! And good tidings to men!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home