Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union - how I hate thee!

Tonight is Tuesday night. Normally, this means that from 9 to 10 pm, I get to watch one of the best shows on TV - House. Tonight, however, I'm stuck with the State of the Union address.

When I lived in DC, I used to watch the State of the Union address - it was usually discussed briefly in classes the next day. But I quickly learned that the State of the Union is pointless - it's empty posturing by the President addressed to those unfortunate Americans who don't have cable and can't watch something else.

This is why this year I will NOT be watching the State of the Union. If I had the time to turn it into a drinking game with my friends, I would. Unfortunately I have too much work, too many classes and not enough leisure time to get wasted tonight. So instead, I'll watch something previously taped off my DVR and pretend that the State of the Union is not in fact occurring.

(Of course, what will probably happen is that I will have a sudden anxiety attack that I'm missing something monumental, like Bush apologizing for the Iraq war and declaring a unilateral withdrawal of troops, so I'll end up half-watching it anyway...I'm a dork that way.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also can stand to miss this president telling lies about the state of the economy, the state of Iraq, how to fix the medical system and how to keep us all safe by wire tapping us without a warrent in violation of the law. It is a pity we don't have the British parliament system where the "Loyal Opposition" starts shouting out "Lies", "Liar", "Nonsense" and even worse in a cacophonous racket. That would be amusing. This is just annoying.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you watch British or Canadian question time you know the answers you get for your trouble are more intelligent, better pronounced nonsense and talking point reiterations. Nevertheless, it is so much more civilized to be able to scoff at a bald liar (though technically, you can't outright call him a liar per se) than to sit through the primitive, backward American spectacle of a kind receiving his satraps, like Darius once a year recoronated as King of Kings...

10:16 PM  
Blogger Subcomandante Bob said...

National Nitwit has the inside scoop of a bold new plan by the President in his speech that will be a great leap foward.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home