Monday, April 03, 2006

Decisions

My mother tells me that I'm at the age where everything is up in the air, I don't know what the future holds in store and that for a few years more I will be in this state of uncertainty and flux. She says these are some of the hardest years for all of us.

This reassures me. I'm 25 years old. I know that I want to do international law, but I don't even know in what capacity entirely. I don't want to limit myself and thus preclude myself from a large section of the job market. I also don't know if I want to stay in the US.

Next semester I'm going to study abroad in Italy. One semester of taking seminars in EU law and doing research will hopefully open my horizons and provide me with some sort of guidance. My parents view this as a unique opportunity, one not to be missed. I agree, but at the same time I'm a little torn. It's not so much the friends I've made here - they'll be here when I get back in January. It's more the classes I'll be missing out on. Once I get back, I'll have 2 semesters left. That's it. Those last two semesters will be less than fun - packed with all of the really important classes I should really take before finishing my law degree.

Even though I'm a bit nervous about the job application process for second summer jobs that will be going on simultaneous to my stay in Italy, and the possible classes I'll miss out on, I'm excited about going abroad again. Besides, how can anyone say no to spending a semester in Firenze, studying in a villa at the outskirts of town?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer in Italy, hunh? That's nothing. My slaves arrive today -- the ones I got through my MacArthur Genius Grant -- and I get to sort through which will be working to keep me in cocaine, classy-type boozse, money and chocolate (literally: I have a theory about bathing and wrinkle reduction) and which will go straight to the seraglio.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not really relevant, but this site is awesome and you would probably like it. It's an Australian image blog with scans from old books (think Diderot's encyclopedia). Found it by way of Plep, which is the most intelligent and engaging way to waste time online. You might also like Neave, which has a virtual personalized planetarium.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Julka said...

You should not make my mistake and worry so much about your future, your career and the potential classes you'll miss here. I was worried about all of the above for this semester and you know that life dictated something else for me. See the beauty of Europe you have already seen yourself, just more of it, there is never enough to see. Your career both in law school and professionally will fall into place as it should. A wise soul once told me this but I didn't believe it, now I know his advice was right. More importantly, I've been to Florence and it is gorgeous, the city is a beautiful part of Italy and Europe. Just see and experience it yourself!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The market requires every consumer and employee to be massively alone in the present."

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The market requires every consumer and employee to be massively alone in the present."

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home