Monday, July 03, 2006

My ear is burning - a new BBQ sauce recipe

My ear is burning. You know that fiery hot burning sensation you get on your lips after eating really hot food, or in your eyes if you've rubbed them with peppery fingers? Well, my ear feels like that. Never EVER scratch your ear with jalapeno-flavored fingers. Or your upper lip for that matter. And I don't even want to think about what habanero peppers would do to me.

In the process of creating considerable discomfort for myself, I managed to come up with a quick BBQ sauce recipe that's my favorite of my attempts so far.

Nixie's quick and easy bourbon BBQ sauce:

Start with equal parts of apple cider vinegar and Jim Beam in a saucepan (I didn't measure - something around 2/3 of a cup of each).
Add 1 small finely chopped onion.
Simmer.
Add half a chopped ripe tomato.
Add a chopped jalapeno.
Avoid touching your ear, upper lip, or scalp without washing your hands.
Add a heaping teaspoon or so of brown sugar.
Add a few (to taste) teaspoons of molasses.
Add salt.
Add 1 canned chopped chipotle with a bit of the adobo sauce it comes in.
Add a few teaspoons of dijon mustard.
Let this all simmer.
Taste it - add more of the ingredients to taste.
Let cool.
Blend (I know, straining is the proper thing to do - but I don't like losing the veggie goodness I put in there).

This is a pretty darn hot BBQ sauce. It's also pretty vinegary (can be changed to taste of course - more molasses and Beam for a sweeter, less vinegary sauce) - but I'm attempting to make a fake pulled pork, and pulled pork calls for vinegary BBQ sauces.

Now the purists are going to smack me upside the head for a number of reasons. But I like this sauce, even if it does cut some corners. It's quick, easy, and painless...unless you're like me and can't keep your hands off yourself.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool recipe.


BBQ Safety Tips


~LifeHappens

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, pepper spray is literally just bits of pepper. It actually tastes like pepper when you get sprayed; obviously it burns but you're also consious of this Mexican sort of flavor. You can make your own using peppers from a grocery store, something like how you can get high on ordinary poppies.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Chaon said...

Can you use a jalopeno from a jar or does it need to be fresh?

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ideally fresh, for any purpose. However, the idea is the same thing that makes it spicy (an interpretation of irritation) is also going to drive that pepper spray (misplaced spiciness). So a canned but pungent pepper should still be dangerous. Notice that this counts as a controlled weapon and the police will regard experimentation about as enthusiastically as they would a project involving homemade fireworks. (I got sprayed as a precondition to carrying one because they wanted us to take it seriously and not be cavalier about spraying people.)

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating reading: Bush's birthday gift list. The Sultan of Brunei, who last time I checked was the wealthiest bastard on Earth and presided over the richest per capita nation, got Bush a fucking remaindered paperback and a couple of widely available DVDs of movies TCM has on every other day. I say this will not stand, George. Hungary got him a $125 bullwhip, Canada got him some kind of First Nations moose sculpture, and Saudi Arabia sent lots of jewelry and clothing. Jordan sent weapons, including a ten thousand dollar sniper rifle which I am certain Bush will get right around to using. Oh, and somebody sent Donald Rumsfailed an aromatherapy kit.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home