Thursday, June 29, 2006

James Spader and sexual deviancy

I'm rewatching Crash (the 1996 Crash, not the most recent one). I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, and left it on my DVR. I was intrigued. I didn't know whether I liked it or not. It was very intense, very strange, and almost hard to watch. On second viewing, I've gotta give it my thumbs up, and put it beside my other much cherished James Spader movies (Secretary, and Sex, Lies and Videotape) in the pantheon of sexually deviant movies. (I also love Stargate, but it's strange to see James Spader not playing a somewhat creepy character.)

The thing about his characters in those movies is that they are so deviant that they epitomize that particular deviancy - in effect, they are stereotypes of fetishes beyond the scope of "normal" fetishes. And yet somehow, he manages to be erotic through all of his roles, even if the viewer can't fully comprehend where he gets his pleasure from.

I have to wonder what James Spader is like in person...because either he's a great actor, or he's a creepy, creepy man.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spader wasn't creepy in Secretary, he was a positively positive influence.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was it Erica Jong wrote about it being insulting and gruesome for one guy to walk up to you and grab your ass, but good and even natural for another to do the same thing? James Spader is the kind of guy who could grab various arses.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy handmaid tail, guardian councilman! Here's one of those signs that it's time to think seriously about buying a gun or moving out of the country...

5:14 PM  
Blogger frillgirl said...

I have to agree with you about James Spader. He's one of those incredibly intriguing, repulsive, attractive men. I loved him in Crash, the Secretary and Sex Lies and Videotape, so I can completely relate.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have met James Spader twice. He is very sweet and down to earth, not to mention GORGEOUS! Believe me, he is NOT creepy at all, just one hell of a great actor!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home