Friday, November 04, 2005

Piggeries

I occasionally post exerpts from cases I had to read for class that I find particularly amusing. This particular exerpt comes from a nuisance case from 1963, Pendoley v. Ferreira. Maybe it's just me, but I find the word 'piggery' to be highly amusing.

"Upon the facts appearing in the master's report, the Ferreiras cannot be expected to correct the offensiveness of the piggery. The master has found that the piggery is very well operated. Substantial and effective improvement can hardly be expected in such a piggery. The Ferreiras' difficulty lies in the inherently offensive aspects of any piggery in a residential neighborhood and in the material discomfort which piggeries cause to others."

This brings back fond memories of summers spent in Turkeve, Hungary, a small town with many pigs. On one side of our house was a bakery. On the other side, neighbors who kept pigs. When the wind blew in one direction, we had the delightful smell of fresh baked bread. When the wind blew in the other direction, we had the delightful smell of pig excrement. And that was just from a few lonely pigs - not a whole piggery. Although I don't mind the smell of piggy poo in small doses, I can only imagine that a whole piggery worth of porcine feces would be pretty pungent. And not in a good way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt Hunt said...

I have to admit, I was very disappointed that Schneider made a point about how it should be referred to as a "hog farm." I was really looking forward to him saying "piggery" repeatedly.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Nixie said...

I completely agree. It definitely made the discussion less fun - especially since I think few people could enunciate the word "piggery" quite like Schneider could.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home