Thursday, December 29, 2005

How to make your fridge smell bad

Since before I left for break, my fridge in Ann Arbor was smelling somewhat funny. Kind of a rotten eggish sort of smell. I figured there was something that had liquified in there that I would eventually find.

When I returned from break, I threw out all liquified objects (all those that weren't meant to be liquified, that is). Still, the fridge smelled funny, and none of the objects I'd thrown out smelled at all like the unidentified stench.

Today I went grocery shopping, and among many other things, picked up some more kimchi because I was running low. By the time I got back to my apartment, my car smelled like something small and furry had crawled in there and died weeks ago. Either that, or someone was hiding back there uncontrollably farting. Kimchi is quite distinctive in its odor.

Interestingly enough, when I got home, I discovered the source of my fridge's smelliness. First, there was a cracked rotting egg in the egg shelf, which made the fridge smell, well, like rotting eggs. Amazing how that works. Second, my old jar of kimchi had fallen over, and despite being double-bagged, had leaked all over the bottom shelf of the fridge.

The combination was stunning - farts squared. But with a quick wipe-down, all hint of gaseous emissions was eliminated...at least until the next time my kimchi gets knocked over and stinks up the place.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha.. that's funny.. cause kimchi is so nasty smelling.. it's one of those things that you just can't get out for a few days.

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year you wrote about a professor of yours in Washington. You were flabbergasted at his contention that Russia was behind the Muslim terrorists in the Middle East. I very much agree with this professor and wondered if you would state his name? I would like to read what he has written on the subject. Thanks.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very thought of those smells makes me ill.

We have a Korean restaurant around the corner and my husband is strictly forbidden from getting carry-out -- the entire building reeks for days.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russia was behind the Muslim terrorists in the Middle East.

A lot of people don't know this but the Russians like being at war with Chechnya. The terrorism, the televised decapitation, the Vietnamese ambience, the prostitution and decay of an overextended military -- it's fun to Russians, so they created their own (hot) enemy out of the Chechnyans, who enjoy prolonged wars of independence just as much as a millionaire likes a ride in a MiG. The Sri Lankans got wind of how much fun it was to blow oneself up and lately haven't been able to stop. Similarly the Turks don't really have a problem with Kurds, they're just faking it to scare themselves for fun. Do I need to throw out "controlled demolition"? And behind it all, the Jews, noshing like parrots and getting God-damned Christ-killing crumbs in the fabric of world government...will they ever put the damned snacks down...

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, and the point of that was?

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home