Tuesday, October 03, 2006

London - a breath of fresh air

So I arrived in London late this afternoon. I have a job interview tomorrow.

After one month in Italy, London is a breath of fresh air. Gone is the chaotic driving, the complete inability to follow roadsigns, rules, and regulations. It was so pleasant that it took me 10 minutes in the cab to realize that we were, of course, driving on the wrong side of the road. I've missed order, cleanliness, and space. The streets don't smell like urine, either.

Of course there is a downside to London - it's the first time since I fell in love two and a half weeks ago that I've been away from my man for longer than a couple of hours. I miss him tremendously already. Luckily, there's text messaging, but it's no substitute.

There is another downside to London (and the UK in general). Outlets. Why can't the British use European outlets? Does anyone else in the world use these strangely archaic gigantic plugs? I don't know - but luckily for me, the hotel provides adaptors.

I already had my moment of victory - a suit-clad Englishman asked me for directions to Fleet Street as I was standing having a smoke outside the hotel. I was able to give him directions. Not even here for 2 hours, and I'm like a native (ok, so he asked for the ONE street I could tell him directions to - it's down the street from the street that I'm on...still, makes me feel good about myself).

Back home in Firenze, nothing is new, and everything is wonderful. I can't wait to get back. Love has a way of changing everything...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although no secret police organization was ever able to make anyone safe by allowing in-house perverts to rifle underwear drawers, the Angles have responded to decades of their own (and others') terrorism by becoming the most completely surveilled people on earth.
The Canadian secret service (actually quite good, set up for ECHELON and the Soviet "short route") once had a former member who went public with news of institutional abuse such as watching pretty Canadians shower.
Italy is safer, if only because no terrorist would make it anywhere on time. (Assuming you already know about P2.)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Italy is a copy of the Soviet Union: besides the 20 different police forces, there are the thousands "civilian" police agnets. During 9/11 they managed to round up EVERY person of Arab origin in Italy for a check up! Mind you, Italy has a population of 60 million...

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We must have violently different understandings of a massive, truly continental area of unbroken land that surpassed Hitler's tolls. I see nothing particularly out of place or Soviet in a European country with far more police and pseudopolice than could possibly be justified, especially since the CIA and the influence of their benevolent American friends are the reasons they have them.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home