Saturday, January 13, 2007

Quorn - It's fungus!

Yesterday I picked up some Quorn chicken nuggets and Quorn chicken cutlets. For years, I'd been dying to try this stuff, ever since a middle school biology teacher (who was British) told us about it. It's the science-fictioniest food product ever. Think Asimov's Prelude to Foundation. Fake meat made from soy and other vegetables is boring - it's just turning existing products into the most meat-like form they can be in. Quorn, on the other hand is science.

Quorn is apparently made from a fungus that was discovered by British scientists somewhere in the English countryside in 1967. Quorn is made in giant fermenting vats. Quorn is fermented fungus - mold of some sort.

Having recently decided that eating meat too much is bad (this does not imply that I have any intention of becoming a vegetarian), because it's not an efficient use of natural resources, Quorn seems like the future of food.

So I tried the chicken nuggets today - and I'm pleased to report that they're damn tasty, resemble real chicken nuggets more than McNuggets do. It tastes like chicken, feels like chicken, and isn't people, although I couldn't help but think of soylent green while eating my vat-grown nuggets.

Still - not half bad. Can't wait to try the chicken fillet and see how chickeny it is. I could handle substituting this stuff for half of my meat intake.

Mmm...fungus...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tofu Pups (as advertised in the longest and most consistent underground comic, Dykes to Watch Out For) taste better than any hot dogs I've had (I'm used to hot dogs starting out bad and reaching me burnt). The advantage of tofu with better quality meat and fat is that tofu sucks up flavor like a sponge, so that a scrap of good platter bacon can be multiplied as its nutritive value is improved.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was over at Xymphora's place as part of a case for recognizing American military dictatorship. It doesn't strike me as quite as bad as it sounds, but then I have no idea about law as a career thing; nevertheless it seems to me that if it is true in this climate, lawyers must be infinitely worse than I ever thought. ---

#3 Charles ‘Cully’ Stimson, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs, called for a corporate boycott of law firms who dared to represent victims of Guantanamo. Although later rejected by the Pentagon as official Pentagon policy, the damage is already done. Anyone representing a Guantanamo detainee has to kiss his or her future livelihood goodbye.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See yer quorn and raise you a loris. As it is expensive, tiny and hideous the best advice is probably to convince Japanese women it is a fashionable pet.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home