Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Macroeconomics

I have my first macroeconomics exam on Monday. Additionally, I have a term paper due on Friday, the intro to a term paper due today (not going to happen until I go to the archives tomorrow), a panel presentation on Tuesday and a five minute presentation on the Israeli position vis-a-vis Jerusalem, also on Tuesday.

And I plan on having a social life this weekend.

But what made me post, after such a long absence (due to studying contraints) was a discussion thread in TotalFark that reminded me of what I told my dad after the first few weeks of macroeconomics.

I hate macroeconomics. Particularly this international finance theory stuff. I'm much more of a microeconomics person, probably because it's more understandable and has more realistic elements. It is incredibly hard for me to understand why I am studying such things as the supply and demand of money. And the first thing I thought about was this quote from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd, because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

The pretty much encapsulates macroeconomics for me. Maybe I'm shallow. But I'll always associate that quote with my macroecon class from the Fall of 2004. It's the only thing that keeps me sane while I study for my exam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home