Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The last flu victim

It's at the tail end of the flu season. Everyone who was going to get it has gotten it. Or so I thought.

Throat started tickling badly on Thursday. By Friday I was getting sick. Today's Tuesday and I have been completely unable to move, do anything, or really respond to the world in any proper way since Friday.

Two days off work, and I'm still not feeling much better. I'm just focusing on my presentation for the conference on Thursday and not worrying about anything else.

I've missed one of the most stunning weekends I've seen in a long time, I've sat around in pajamas like a fool, I've popped sudafed and ibuprofen like I was eating sweet tarts, and I've consumed more orange juice than is probably healthy, and I still don't feel better. I haven't been this sick since high school.

I did, however, just run across a perfect description of how I feel - from Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, which is currently distracting me from my misery:

"He feels kind of the way he does, sometimes, the day before he comes down with a total-body cold-and-flu scenario, one of those crushing viral Tet Offensives that, every few years, swats you out of the land of the fully living for a week or two."

That's it. That's me in a nutshell.

In the meantime, I'm going to go back to working on my paper presentation. Hopefully I can do this without sounding like a dismembered corpse. I've got until Thursday to get myself into better shape. *snork**snork**snork*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home