Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Upcoming yearly vacation

Last year it was Bosnia. Well, it was Barcelona which turned into a tour of the former Yugoslavia, which turned into Bosnia. This year it's Istanbul and a trip across Bulgaria which has already metamorphosized into Istanbul, Sofia, some day trips in Bulgaria and Nis, Serbia. I'm beginning to think that I'll have to have a yearly summer vacation where the plans get changed right at the last minute and I end up in some formerly but recently war-torn country (although as far as I know Nis didn't suffer too much during the war - I could be completely wrong though).

Of course, I have a ways to go before I get to go on vacation - I would say that August 26th can't come soon enough, but I have final exams on August 23rd and August 25th. So I'm torn.

Oddly enough, one of the places I'd be interested in working next summer is Rwanda or some other recently war-torn African country doing human rights related legal work. This would fit right in with my trend. Of course, my mother would probably have a heart-attack and organize an intervention to chain me to my cat so I couldn't travel overseas.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

only one problem with your mom's plan: you'd simply take the cat and go with Kissinger to Rwanda or Arusha. No...no...something stronger is needed...

10:36 AM  
Blogger sydneyb said...

If you go to Rwanda, I have a great book for you to read before you go. Its called "We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families" by Philip Gourevitch. Its an amazing book that gives you a detailed history as well as current perspective on the Tutsi massacre by the Hutus.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home