Thursday, August 03, 2006

Going south

We're on our way back downstate. Today we will leave the UP. Tomorrow I'll be back at work.

I'm sorry to have to say goodbye to the UP - but I prefer to think of it as au revoir. I'm hoping to make it up here for the fall colors in 2007, and possibly next summer as well - maybe for a trip to Isle Royale or to the Porcupine Mountains.

At the same time I'm wonderfully refreshed and ready to attack work with a vengeance. The staleness that everything in Ann Arbor had acquired is gone - and I am genuinely excited to finish up my research paper and continue researching for work.

Sometimes vacations are really needed. And by vacation I don't mean the excesses of alcohol consumption previously witnessed this year in the Dominican Republic and Las Vegas - I mean a healthy, happy, low-key, outdoorsy vacation. I'm in much better shape than I was going out. I've been going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up at a reasonable hour. And as the saying goes, mens sana in corpore sano.

I'm glad I finally had the chance to discover the UP. It made me reevaluate my opinion of Michigan entirely - most states don't have anything nearly as beautiful as the UP, with the abundance of trees and freshwater that exude such an aura of environmental soundness that it's hard to bealieve that this is the same state that contains Flint and Detroit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A biological equivalent to nixie's earlier observation about the bold stances possible in international law: dumber animals become prey, smarter ones appear to survive to reproduce and better overall specific intelligence. Disgruntled Chemist by the way is one of my favorite blogs and regularly rates various beers.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home