Saturday, May 27, 2006

The summer that can't be beat

Today I finally got it into my head that it's the summer. After a week of being sick with the flu, I was taking a break from writing my paper and smoking a cigarette on my balcony, listening Derek and the Dominos for the first time since 1998, my feet up, ashtray next to me. And it hit me - this will be the summer that can't be beat.

Being in Ann Arbor this time of year brings back lots and lots of memories - several happy summers were mostly spent in Ann Arbor while I was in college - working, taking classes, hanging out with friends. Summers were blissful here - an idyllic college town, emptied of the majority of the teeming masses, suddenly become much more chill than before. Even the work was sweet - being a labrat, performing experiments with lots of downtime.

We were young - 19, 20, 21...and correspondingly immature. Drama flared, passions burned and nothing seemed impossible. At the same time, I had no idea what I wanted to do in life - I knew I didn't want to do science - but what else?

This is why this summer will be the unbeatable one. I'm 25 now. I'm doing what I want to be doing, I'm sure of that. The work I'm doing this summer as a research assistant for my favorite prof is going to be on my favorite subjects - international trade and energy. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing than doing research. I'm finishing up a really interesting (at least to me) paper. I've got some great friends in town to hang out with. I've got my own place for when I need alone time. I've got the world's coolest cat. I've got a car to do my great trip with my best friend here up to the UP with this summer. And at the end of this very chill and wonderfully intellectual summer, I'm going to Florence, Italy to study at EUI for a semester, focused on a semester-long research project on the EU-Russia energy partnership and how to make it less aspiration (and whether that is actually feasible, why it would be desireable, etc.). I'm so happy at the moment, it's almost scary.

And everyday I thank myself for choosing Michigan Law School over any other one...at the moment, there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing how many ills can be explained by peasant stupidity.
Our economy is rocking, but the voters are too stupid to know it.
Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine and Tibet are doing great under their benevolent hosts, but the occupied parties are too stupid to know it. (Plus they all have a culture of death, especially Tibet.)
We are winning the drug war, but the drug users are too high to know it.
Our military is invincible, but terrorists are too stupid to know it: indeed, fourth-generational warfare types are too dumb to know there's no such thing as fourth-generation warfare.
Globalization means stuffy well-paying manufacturing work is replaced with a chocolate-flavored flood of rainbow and happiness guaranteeing not-paying service jobs in unicorn land, but the people who committed suicide because they could no longer support their families don't read enough Friedman to know it. And also they're dead, which means, hey, even more jobs.
We do not torture, but the torture victims are too groggy to realize it.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, your life seems interesting!

Peace and Love!

Dominic Ebacher
ebacherdom.blogspot.com

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home